Ingredients For Anchovy Stuffed Tomatoes:
- 8 medium size firm tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons [90 mL] olive oil
- 2 medium size onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups [500 mL] fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 anchovy fillets, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] finely minced stoned ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly snipped parsley
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons [45 g] grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter, cut into 8 tiny pieces
Preheat oven to 350°F [180°C].
Cut and throw away top of each tomato.
With a spoon, remove and throw away seeds.
Carefully pierce tomato skins; reserve.
Heat oil into a medium-size pan over medium heat until hot.
Add chopped onions and crushed garlic; brown for 5 to 7 minutes, mixing until soft and translucent but not coloured.
Remove from heat; mix in breadcrumbs, minced anchovy fillets and ripe olives, snipped parsley and oregano.
Fill tomatoes with mixture using a small spoon.
Arrange tomatoes into a shallow oven-safe dish large enough to hold all the tomatoes, side-by-side.
Sprinkle stuffed tomatoes with grated Parmesan cheese; add 1 piece butter over each.
Bake into preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned on top and tomatoes are tender yet still firm.
Serve immediately or to serve these tomatoes cold, leave tomatoes to cool in baking dish, then refrigerate tomatoes for at least 1 hour before serving.
Enjoy delicious recipes with Roma Pizza & Pasta.